Thursday, January 18, 2007

Helping your wife with morning sickness.

You hear about all these mothers to be with morning sickness that last one day and some the entire nine months. Morning sickness can be very stressful and exhausting. It can also wear down on the husband and wife causing tempers and bad moods.

In my opinion morning sickness should be called all day sickness, since your not sick just in the mornings. It's true because she was sick the entire day every day!
My experience with my wife was around the first 24 weeks. She was sick for about 4 months and I mean she had an upset stomach on average of about 4 times a day. I really felt sorry for her. I tried to get information from other mothers and friends to help her out. We heard and tried everything from ginger tea, sea bands, medicines, eat in the morning, crackers, small portions throughout the day and etc...
None of these worked. She just continued on being sick, in fact sometimes she would even be sicker after using one of these "remedies".

So I realized that if she was going to be sick, she was not going to be sick and uncomfortable. So here's what I did.
Now before I go any further, I need to make something clear. What I did was to help her out and yes it did take work on my part and time from my schedule. That's what marriage is about, you make sacrifices and help each other carry their load. So I did a little rearranging around the house.
I would do dishes after dinner, I would make dinner sometimes, I cleaned the bathroom, I did laundry and folded. I would try to make her comfortable as possible.
Including giving her blankets, massages and just talking with her about how she felt. She really appreciated those things, especially when I would clean the whole house for her and then we would just sit and talk. She would then talk to her mother on the phone and tell her all of her problems
and how I helped her. Thats an awesome feeling.

I know as a husband that coping with the morning sickness can be stressful. Worried about her all the time, also having to adjust your schedule because she's not feeling well that eve. As in a cancellation of dinner plans with friends or family.
It starts to drain us also, just in a different way. The key thing here is to not place any blame on her. For example, "We never can go out because your always sick". Whoa Don't say that! That will start a fire that you can't put out. If you are having a tough time of it, just tell her in a different way. I told my wife that it is stressful on us both, but I know that she has a lot on her shoulders now. Explain to her that you're stressed, but also excited. What you want to do is just simply talk to her about your feelings.
Really open up to her and just pour it out. As a husband I know how my wife loves it when I tell her my feelings. Even if what I tell her isn't exactly what she wanted to hear. The communication thing is key here. Also while your pouring your heart to her, ask her how she is feeling. Tell her you know she must be stressed out. But she is doing a wonderful job carrying your baby.
Build her up also and give her encouragement. There is nothing like encouragement to a wife that comes from her husband.
Don't forget the reason why you are in this situation. These are times that can be real nerve wracking, but also when you look back on them they will be some of the most rewarding also. You're ready to bring a new life into the world.

Author: Matt Bowers

No comments: